3.5 hrs | 16 servings
I think the strawberries help brighten the rich chocolate and nutella flavors in this beautiful three layer cake. Check out the nutella buttercream, ferrero rocher, and hazelnut topped version from the original recipe link for a real showstopper!
Nutella Cheesecake Layer:
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup Nutella® Hazelnut Spread
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
5 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate melted & cooled to room temperature
1. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease the foil. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Using a mixer or whisk, beat the cream cheese, Nutella® and vanilla until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Add the sour cream and melted chocolate; mix until fully incorporated and smooth. Using rubber spatula, scrape and pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven until cheesecake is just set in center and no longer jiggles, about to 50 minutes to an hour. Remove cheesecake from oven and place on wire cooling rack. Allow cheesecake to cool completely in fridge, at least 1 hour, and then cover with plastic wrap. Cheesecake layer can stay refrigerated until you are ready to assemble the cake.
Chocolate Cake Layers:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting cake pans
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
1. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Place parchment paper rounds on the bottoms, grease again, and then dust pans with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Using a mixer or whisk, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; mix on low speed, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add espresso powder to boiling water and stir until dissolved. Carefully add boiling water mixture into batter on low speed and mix until well combined. Batter will be very thin. Using rubber spatula, scrape and pour batter into prepared pans dividing evenly. Smooth tops evenly with rubber spatula.
3. Bake in center of preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run thin metal spatula or knife around edges of each cake to loosen, then invert onto wire rack and peel away parchment or wax paper. Cool completely.
2/3 cups strawberry preserves or jam
1 pound fresh strawberries
Nutella® Hazelnut Spread, as needed
1. Place one cake layer on desired cake resting place. Spread 1/3 cup jam on top, leaving about 1/2 inch of space between edge of jam and edge of cake.
2. Place cheesecake layer on top. Repeat jam spreading and place final cake layer on top.
3. Arrange sliced fresh strawberries around sides and top of cake, using Nutella to keep them in place.
Recipe adapted from www.wickedgoodkitchen.com/chocolate-nutella-cheesecake-cake/by