30 mins | 8 servings
I use kecap manis in almost all indonesian cooking and as an instant sauce on everything from rice to fried eggs. It can be found at some asian stores, and definitely indonesian stores. The pickled cucumber adds a nice flavor and texture contrast.
1 14 oz package rice noodles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 lb shrimp
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
cilantro or green onions to top
1 small or pickling cucumber quartered and thinly sliced
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chili sauce such as sriracha or sambal oelek (or more if you like)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
To make the pickles, mix all ingredients thoroughly and marinate at least 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
1. Prepare noodles according to package, cook for about a minute less than suggested for chewy noodles.
2. Heat a wok on high heat and add oil.
3. When the oil shimmers, add shrimp. Cook on both sides until pink.
4. Push shrimp to the side of the wok and add the egg to the open space. Scramble egg gently.
5. Add cooked noodles, soy sauce, and sweet soy sauce. Stir fry everything until the liquid is gone and the noodles are carmelized.
6. Serve topped with cilantro or green onions and spicy pickles.by