1.5 hours | 12 cupcakes
I squished together some of my favorites to make these gooey, whimsical smores cupcakes. Chocolate hearts optional but fun!
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5.5 crackers)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk or normal milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Mix graham cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar, and melted butter in small bowl. Distribute mixture among cupcake liners, about 1 heaping tablespoon each. Pack down firmly. Bake crusts 10 minutes until starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the cake batter, leave oven on.
2. Whisk cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in large bowl. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, and milk, and whisk until smooth. Distribute batter among cupcake liners, pouring on top of graham crusts, about 1/3 cup each. Bake in 350 degree F oven about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into cupcakes comes out clean and tops are springy when touched. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
1. Place sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy). Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
2. Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting. I shovel the frosting into a gallon ziploc, cut off a large bit of the corner, and pipe a large swirl on each cupcake.
3. Toast the frosting with a kitchen torch or under a broiler. Serve topped with chocolate hearts (recipe below) if desired.
1. Line baking pan with parchment paper and trace 12 hearts with a pencil on top. Heart-shaped cookie cutters are good for this.
2. Melt chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl in microwave on 15 second intervals, stirring well between each interval, until smoothly melted. Let cool 5 minutes.
3. Pour melted chocolate into small ziploc bag, and cut off a small bit of the corner. Pipe the melted chocolate on top of the parchment paper, following the stenciled hearts, and swirling randomly inside the hearts to create a lacy pattern.
4. Place finished hearts in refrigerator about 30 minutes, or until thoroughly hardened.by