1 hour + chill time | 4 servings
I love this combo of creamy peas, smoky ham, and flaky pie crust. Use a good quality ham for this.
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 ounce smoked ham, cut into ¼-inch pieces
1. Pulse butter and 1 1/2 cups flour in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. With motor running, stream in ice water by the tablespoon until a shaggy dough comes together and starts to form a ball around the blade (a few dry spots are okay).
2. Transfer mixture to a lightly floured surface and gently knead until dough comes together completely (don’t overmix). Divide dough in half, flatten each piece into a ½”-thick square, and wrap in plastic. Chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, cook peas in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until bright green, about 30 seconds. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry.
4. Reserve half the peas, and blend the rest with the oil in a food processor until smooth. Add the whole peas back in and season peas with salt and pepper.
5. Mix the egg and vinegar to make an eggwash.
6. Preheat oven to 375°. Let dough sit at room temperature, about 5 minutes, to soften slightly, making it easier to roll. Working with 1 square at a time, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Try to get both sheets about the same size. Stack sheets and cut them into 4 equal rectangles.
7. Arrange 4 of the rectangles on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, spacing 2″ apart. Spread a dollop of pea purée over each, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Top with ham.
8. Brush borders with egg wash and top with remaining 4 rectangles of dough, pressing gently around edges to seal. Crimp with a fork. Brush tops of tarts with egg wash and make 3 slits in the center of each (for steam to escape). Sprinkle with kosher or sea salt and bake, rotating halfway through, until tarts are deep golden brown, 35−40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ham-and-pea-hand-piesby