Start by steeping the mint and cream.
Temper in the egg yolks, and then chill the mixture overnight. Add chocolate
and churn. Freeze for normal ice cream, or eat as is for soft-serve.
Serve as a sundae if desired!
Fresh Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chill time: overnight
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
4.5 ounces sugar
4 large sprigs fresh mint
1 teaspoon peppermint extract, or 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
your favorite chocolate bar (I used a 2.8 ounce mint dark chocolate bar) coarsely chopped
1. Place the half-and-half, heavy cream, and mint sprigs into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
2. In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
3. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the peppermint oil and stir to combine. Cover and chill overnight.
4. Add the chocolate to the mixture, then churn according to your ice cream makers instructions. Mine took about 10 minutes.
5. Place the churned mixture into an air-tight container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Recipe adapted from foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mint-chip-ice-cream-recipe.htmlby